Two U.S. Citizens Killed in ICE-Related Shootings as Officials, Candidates Dispute Use of Force
Bystander video, eyewitness accounts, and competing political statements fuel calls for transparency and accountability following fatal encounters in Minneapolis.
The fatal shootings of two American citizens by federal ICE agents in January have intensified national debate over the use of force by federal immigration authorities, as bystander video, eyewitness testimony, and sharply contrasting political responses continue to challenge official narratives.
The deaths of Alex Jeffrey Pretti, a 37-year-old intensive care nurse, and Renée Macklin Good, also 37, occurred weeks apart in Minneapolis. In both cases, federal officials asserted that federal agents acted in self-defense — claims that have been disputed by witnesses, journalists, and political challengers citing video evidence and firsthand accounts.

Alex Pretti Killing During Minneapolis Protest
Pretti was shot and killed on January 24, 2026, after intervening in a dispute between federal agents and a protester during a public demonstration in Minneapolis. Federal officials stated that Pretti posed a threat to officers and resisted arrest.
However, bystander video circulated publicly that appears to show Pretti on the ground at the time shots were fired. Witnesses say Pretti — who was legally licensed to carry a concealed firearm — had already been disarmed. Video reviewed by journalists shows Pretti holding a cellphone rather than a weapon as officers restrained him.
Pretti's death has been ruled a homicide. The shooters have been identified by ProPublica as Border Patrol agent Jesus Ochoa, 43, and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer Raymundo Gutierrez, 35. Both agents were assigned to Operation Metro Surge and are from South Texas.
Pretti died at the scene.
Renée Macklin Good Shot in Vehicle Weeks Earlier
On January 7, 2026, Renée Macklin Good was shot to death while seated in her car during an encounter with ICE agents, also in Minneapolis. ICE identified the shooter as agent Jonathan Ross.
Federal officials, including President Donald J. Trump, defended the shooting, asserting that Ross acted in self-defense after Good allegedly attempted to run him over with her vehicle.
That account has been disputed by eyewitnesses and journalists, who report that Good was attempting to drive away from officers when shots were fired into her vehicle window as she turned away. Witnesses have further alleged that federal agents blocked emergency responders and delayed lifesaving medical care. Advocates say new information suggests Good may have retained vital signs for up to eight minutes while aid was withheld. ICE has not publicly responded to those claims.
Van Drew Calls for Investigation, Emphasizes Balance

In response to the Minnesota shootings, Congressman Jeff Van Drew issued a statement calling for a fair investigation while defending the role of federal law enforcement.
“We never want to see any loss of life,” Van Drew said. “What happened in Minnesota must be investigated fairly, openly, and objectively. There are still a lot of questions that need to be answered.”
Van Drew emphasized constitutional protections for both protest and firearm ownership, while also cautioning against interference with law enforcement operations.
“ICE agents are operating under immense pressure, working hard to make our streets a safer place,” he said. “There is a balance that must be maintained… Lowering the temperature and focusing on the facts is the way forward.”
Democratic Challenger Condemns Federal Response

Terri Reese, who is seeking the Democratic nomination to challenge Van Drew in New Jersey’s 2nd Congressional District, issued a sharply worded response accusing federal officials of misrepresenting both killings.
“The U.S. government is killing people on American soil and lying about it,” Reese said.
Reese cited bystander video in both cases and accused authorities of defaulting to self-defense narratives while ignoring contradictory evidence. She also criticized Van Drew’s comments regarding Pretti’s legal firearm possession, arguing that constitutional rights are being applied selectively.
“An ICU nurse holding a phone is portrayed as a threat, while others openly carry weapons and are celebrated as patriots,” Reese said. “Americans exercising their First Amendment rights are being met not with de-escalation, but with militarized federal force.”
Reese also pointed to the New Year’s Eve killing of Keith Porter in Los Angeles, describing it as part of a broader pattern of ICE-related deaths that demand federal accountability.
Alexander Accuses Van Drew of Double Standard

Tim Alexander, a civil rights attorney and candidate running for the Democratic nomination against Van Drew, echoed those concerns, accusing the congressman of applying the law unevenly based on political alignment.
Alexander criticized Van Drew for labeling Pretti a “violent criminal” while defending armed individuals in other protest contexts, including the 2020 Kenosha shootings involving Kyle Rittenhouse.
“You cannot champion the Second Amendment for your political allies and treat it as a death warrant for your political opponents,” Alexander said. “Alex Pretti was an American citizen entitled to the same constitutional protections as anyone else.”
Calls for Accountability Continue
Civil rights advocates note that the two Minnesota deaths come amid a broader rise in fatalities tied to federal immigration enforcement. Advocacy groups report that at least 30 people died in ICE custody in 2025 — the highest number in more than two decades — as detention operations expanded nationwide.
For critics and supporters alike, the deaths of Pretti and Good have become flashpoints in a widening national debate over protest rights, militarized enforcement, and whether constitutional protections apply equally when federal immigration authorities are involved.
Sign Up for Atlantic City Focus Weekend Guide
Your Key to Winning the Weekend in AC and Beyond!
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Thanks for reading the whole story!
At Atlantic City Focus, we're committed to providing a platform where the diverse voices of our community can be heard, respected, and celebrated. As an independent online news platform, we rely on a unique mix of affordable advertising and the support of readers like you to continue delivering quality, community journalism that matters. Please support the businesses and organizations that support us by clicking on their ads. And by making a tax deductible donation today, you become a catalyst for change helping to amplify the authentic voices that might otherwise go unheard. And every contribution is greatly appreciated. Join us in making a difference—one uplifting story at a time!



